Jamon Serrano Toffee
This recipe combines the salty and savory goodness of Serrano ham with buttery, sweet toffee for an unexpected twist on a classic dessert.
Recipe Provided By: Cynthia Wong, Life Raft Treats, Charleston, SC
Yield: 14 oz.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (112 g) Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup (100 g) glucose or corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (113 g) water
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 oz. (30 g) Serrano or country ham, thinly sliced and trimmed of fat
- 1 tsp. baking soda, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the ham slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Place the ham in the oven and bake until the slices are dry and crispy, but not browned, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let the ham cool completely. Using a small spice grinder, pulverize the ham into a powder.
- In a heavy-bottomed, tall-sided pot, place the sugar, Plugrá, syrup, water and cream of tartar on medium heat. Cook until the mixture reaches 285°F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat and stir in the ham powder, followed by the baking soda and salt.
- Pour the toffee out onto the prepared sheet. Cool completely and then break into pieces.