Brown Butter Salted Caramel Sauce
Brown butter adds a more complex flavor to this caramel sauce. Adding powdered milk to the butter allows for a more intense, nutty flavor.
Recipe Provided By: Linnea Shumway, Culinary Manager, FLX Table, Geneva, NY
Yield: see below
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus chilling
Makes 190 g (1 cup) – enough for 3 batches of sauce.
- 227 g Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted
- 13 g powdered milk
- 3 g salt
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat stirring occasionally, until it has browned.
- Once the butter has browned, stir in the milk powder and stir constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until the powder caramelizes.
- Let stand at room temperature until it has cooled. Emulsify the sauce using an immersion blender. Chill before using.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, strain the through a fine sieve, using a rubber or silicone spatula to press the solids through the mesh until no solids remain in the sieve. Stir the butter until blended.
Brown Butter Salted Caramel
Makes 1-3/4 cups of sauce.
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 28 g water
- 9 g sherry vinegar
- 225 g heavy cream
- 63 g brown butter
- 3 g sea salt
- Mix sugar, water and vinegar together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook to a deep amber color or 330°F without stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream, brown butter and salt until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use. Heat over a water bath to thin before using, if desired.