This time-honored Shoofly cake from Chef Craig is a long time family tradition. Best served fresh out of the oven, Chef Craig recommends a dollop of fresh whipped cream on top.
Recipe CreditsChef Craig Deihl
|Prep time: 25 minutes|
|Cooking time: 40 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes|
- Crumb Mixture
- 8 ounces Butter unsalted
- 1 pound all purpose flour
- 1/2 pound dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 cups black coffee, hot
- 1/2 cup bourbon (chef recommends Maker’s Mark® Bourbon)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- In a stand mixer, beat Plugrá Butter until soft.
- Add sugar and flour and mix until the ingredients come together. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine molasses, coffee, bourbon and baking soda in a stand mixer and mix to blend. Add ⅓ of the reserved crumb mixture to batter and mix evenly.
- Butter a 6-inch x 12-inch pan. Butter a 12-inch x 16-inch sheet of parchment paper on both sides and arrange in pan with paper hanging evenly over both sides of pan (to facilitate removal from pan after baking). Transfer batter to buttered lined pan and top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes (cover with foil after 40 minutes, if crumb topping is getting dark).
- Cool. To remove cake from pan, gently lift up on both sides of parchment paper and pull cake out of pan. Transfer to plate and slice.