Rhubarb Tart - a great spring and summer treat to make for a crowd.
Recipe CreditsChef Amy Eubanks
|Prep time: 30 minutes|
|Cooking time: 30 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour|
- Rhubarb Compote
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, peeled, 1-inch dice
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- 5 ounces sugar (about ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp.)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh, finely chopped
- Almond Crumble
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 ounces Butter, unsalted, chilled, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- Tart Dough
- 1 cup Butter, unsalted, chilled, diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium-size saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes; or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Allow mixture to cool. Set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and blend until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and let rest refrigerated for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to ¼ -inch thickness and press into tart tins; chill for 15 minutes
- Pre-bake the tart shells for 15 minutes.
- Fill each tart shell evenly with the rhubarb compote. Evenly top with almond crumble; return tarts to the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Serve each tart topped with a scoop of mint ice cream and a fresh mint sprig, if desired.