Pistachio Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
The rich, nutty taste of pistachio is made better with the delicate flavor of Plugrá. A decadent layer of buttery smooth cream cheese frosting brings this moist cake all together in a beautiful way.
Recipe Provided By: Minette Rushing Custom Cakes, Savannah, GA
Yield: 9 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes, plus cooling
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40 g) ground pistachio nuts
- 2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 large eggs (250 g), separated
- 3/4 cup (170 g) Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted
- 1-3/4 cup (350 g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. (14 g) pistachio paste
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup (245 g) whole buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1-1/2 cups (340 g) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup (170 g) Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted, softened
- 3 tbsp. (42 g) pistachio paste
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 cups (720 g) powdered confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 8-inch pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, ground pistachio nuts, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk together to incorporate.
- Separate eggs. Place the yolks into a small bowl. Place the whites into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter on medium speed for 2 minutes using the paddle attachment. Add 1¼ cups sugar and continue beating on medium for 3 to 4 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Add oil until just incorporated. Scrape down the bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time. Beat until fully incorporated. Add pistachio paste and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter in three parts alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour. Take care to not overbeat.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites on high speed using the whisk attachment until medium peaks form. Add the remaining ½ cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Stir ⅓ of the beaten egg white into the cake batter. Fold the remaining egg whites into the cake batter in 2 batches, until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes rest for 15 minutes and turn out onto cooling racks. When they are still a little warm, wrap them in plastic wrap and let them finish cooling.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting (below). Store in refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving. Return any leftovers to the refrigerator for storage.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat cream cheese and butter at in an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth.
- Add pistachio paste and vanilla extract, beat until blended.
- Gradually add powdered sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.
To make 4 tbsp. pistachio paste, purée ½ cup of unsalted pistachio nuts with 1½ tsp. vegetable oil in a small food processor or electric coffee grinder.