Everything Spice Gougères
Filled with gruyère and covered in everything spice, these savory pastries are delicious and oh so addictive.
Recipe Provided By: Megan Forman, The Gracious Bakery + Café, New Orleans, LA
Yield: 35 1-oz. puffs
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus chilling
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 338 g water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 155 g Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted
- 182 g high gluten or bread flour
- 189 g gruyère cheese
- 250 g or 5 large eggs
- 19 g everything spice
- Combine water, salt, sugar, and butter in a sauce pot. Bring to a full boil.
- Remove pot from heat and add flour all at once while stirring constantly.
- Return pot to heat and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. There will be a film that develops at the bottom of the pot that indicates the starch in the flour is gelatinizing. Continue to cook for 30 seconds more.
- Transfer the paste to the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix with paddle attachment on medium high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1½ cups of gruyère to the bowl while mixing. Then add the eggs, one at a time, and allow to incorporate fully before adding more. Stop the mixing halfway through the egg addition to scrape down the mix; this ensures no lumps.
- Remove bowl from mixer and the paddle attachment from the batter.
- Place plastic wrap on surface of batter and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (do not use convection). Using a 1 oz scoop, place rounds of the batter onto a non-stick mat. Sprinkle everything spice and the remaining ½ cup gruyere over the top of the scoops.
- Bake for 15 minutes, open the oven to allow steam to escape, and rotate the pan; finish baking for 15 more minutes, or until gougères are golden brown on the top and sides. They should have a firm crust and hollow interior.