Yield: 1-1/2 cups
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 225 g heavy cream
- 1/2 bean vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 0.5 g baking soda
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 35 g glucose or light corn syrup
- 28 g water
- 135 g Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted
- 1 g sea salt
- 0.5 g lecithin
- Combine the cream and vanilla bean in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until it just simmers. Stir in the baking soda, turn off heat and set aside.
- While the cream is heating, stir sugar, glucose and water in a medium saucepan and cook over medium low heat without stirring for 10 minutes or until the mixture caramelizes to a medium brown color.
- Add the butter, salt and lecithin to the caramelized sugar. Stir until well blended.
- Add warmed cream to the caramel and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the mixture reaches 230°F.
This recipe needs the lecithin, or the butter will separate as it cools. If you don’t have lecithin, you can substitute the recipe for Salted Brown Butter Caramel that can also be found on our website.