Brown Butter Miso Ice Cream
Tangy miso brings an interesting twist to a classic dessert. Delicious when served alone or with Black Sesame Marble Biscuits with Green Tea Pudding, Ginger Crumble and Pickled Plums.
Recipe Provided By: Bill Leib, Chef Instructor, Francis Tuttle Technology Center, Oklahoma City, OK
Yield: 6 cups (20 servings)
Prep time: 45 minutes, plus chilling
Cooking time: None
Total time: 45 minutes, plus chilling
- 250 g Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted
- 340 g whole milk
- 25 g white miso
- 1-1/2 tsp. ice cream stabilizer, optional
- 108 g large egg yolks
- 115 g granulated sugar
- 340 g heavy cream
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat stirring occasionally, until it has browned. Transfer a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Bring the milk, miso and stabilizer to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the hot milk mixture to the eggs about ¼ cup at a time, whisking between additions until about half of the milk is incorporated. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens and reaches at least 165°F.
- Transfer to a blender carafe and mix on low speed while slowly pouring in the brown butter. Blend until smooth and add the heavy cream continuing to mix until all ingredients are well blended.
- Chill before freezing in an ice cream machine. For best results, refrigerate overnight.
Only use stabilizer if freezing the custard in a commercial ice cream freezer. The base is very thick and does not incorporate much air during freezing.