Yield: 7, 3-inch donuts
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 125 g Plugrá® European Style Butter, unsalted
- 250 g confectioners sugar, divided
- 35 g almond flour
- 35 g all purpose flour
- 15 g cocoa powder
- 125 g egg whites
- 15 g apple sauce
- 42 g heavy cream
- 2 g instant espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray the insides of a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray. Whisk 150 g confectioner’s sugar, the flours and cocoa powder together and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it has browned. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in apple sauce and egg whites.
- Pipe the batter into the prepared pan, filling ¾ of the way full. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until donuts bounce back when pressed lightly. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When donuts have cooled, combine heavy cream and espresso powder and heat on stovetop or on HIGH in a microwave for 15 to 30 seconds or until espresso powder has melted. Whisk in remaining 120 g confectioner’s sugar. Add a little more cream or sugar as needed to reach a desired glaze consistency. Pipe the glaze over the donuts allowing it to drizzle over the edges. Sprinkle with additional espresso powder, if desired.
Recipe can also be adapted to create 26, 1-3/4 inch donuts.