|Author||Chef Kevin Kidd|
Chai Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream
3 Tloose black tea
7cardamom pods, crushed
1⁄4inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1⁄2 tfennel seed
1 tvanilla extract
1 cplus 6 tbsp. flour
1 1⁄4 tplus ⅛ tsp. baking powder
1⁄4 tplus ⅛ tsp. cinnamon, ground
1⁄4 tkosher salt
1⁄2 cPlugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted, at room temperature
1 1⁄4 csugar
1 lbPlugrá European-Style Butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1 tvanilla extract
Chai Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of three 8-inch round cake pans.
- Combine milk, tea, cardamom, fennel, and ginger in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and steep for 5 minutes. Strain chai milk and cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, and ⅓ of the cooled chai milk and whisk to blend. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in the bowl of a mixer and beat on low until blended. Add Plugrá Butter and beat until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add remaining chai milk and beat on medium-low speed until incorporated.
- On medium speed, add the egg mixture in three additions, scraping the bowl after each addition. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Divide batter evenly among the pans and bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing Directions
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a stand mixer bowl and place over a saucepan partially filled with simmering water. Whisk constantly for about 3 minutes, or until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Transfer bowl to mixer stand fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has cooled completely and formed stiff peaks.
- On medium-high speed, add Plugrá Butter, a few tablespoons at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. Continue mixing until smooth; add vanilla and beat until just combined.
- To assemble cake: spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides of cake.