Toasted Pecan Shortbread with Spiked Toffee Sauce
These buttery shortbread cookies boast toasty pecans throughout, and the buttery rum-spiked toffee is the perfect complement.
|Author: Willow Bird Baking|
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toffee Sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Toast pecans by spreading them on a baking sheet and baking at 350° F for 6-7 minutes, tossing occasionally, until fragrant. Chop while still warm.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. In a separate, large bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar together for 1-2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pulverize the toasted pecans in a food processor for a few pulses (or crush by hand) until very fine, and then stir into the dough by hand.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, form into a thick rectangle, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and cover three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle of 1/2-inch thickness. Cut the dough into 1-inch by 3-inch rectangles and place these on a cookie sheet (position them 2 inches apart because they will spread slightly).
- Bake the cookies for around 20 minutes, rotating and switching positions of baking sheets once partway through baking. Remove the cookies when they’re just slightly colored on the edges and let them cool completely on their baking sheets.
- Bring the brown sugar, butter, heavy whipping cream, and rum to a boil in a heavy saucepan over high heat, whisking frequently.
- Once the mixture boils, turn the heat down slightly to medium-high heat and whisk constantly for 8 minutes, until the mixture is thickened.
- Pour the mixture into a serving bowl.
- Serve it smeared on cooled shortbread cookies.
- Store any extra cookies and toffee sauce in airtight containers, heating up the toffee sauce in the microwave to refresh as needed.