Scallops in a Half Shell with Lemon Thyme Butter Gratin
1poundButter, unsalted, room temperature
2tablespoonfine chopped parsley
2tablespoonfresh thyme leaves, fine chopped
1/4cupfresh squeezed lemon juice
2tablespoonfine chopped garlic
1 1/2tablespoonfine-chopped sun dried tomato
Kosher salt and coarse-cracked black pepper, to taste
1tablespoonextra virgin olive oil
12ouncefresh baby spinach leaves
Kosher salt, as needed
12scallop shells for baking
12sea scallops, fresh, tough muscle removed
Fine chopped fresh parsley and sun-dried tomato, as needed to garnish
Frisée salad, as needed to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Whisk the Plugrá® European-Style Butter in a pastry bowl until softened; add bread crumbs, parsley, thyme, lemon juice, garlic, and sun-dried tomato and whisk until completely blended. Season to taste with black pepper and salt; reserve compound butter at room temperature.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon each: olive oil and Plugrá® European-Style Butter in a large skillet. Add baby spinach and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently; season lightly with salt. Drain excess liquid; reserve.
4. Sprinkle kosher salt in the center of 4 oven-proof plates to stabilize shells; arrange 3 scallop shells on each plate.
5. Portion sautéed spinach equally in center of scallop shells. Top each with 1 raw scallop; season with salt. Cover each scallop generously with the compound butter.
6. Transfer plates to oven and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the butter is bubbling and scallops are opaque. Carefully remove hot plates from oven. (Run plates under broiler, if desired to brown scallops.)
7. Garnish scallops with sun-dried tomato and parsley; arrange frisée salad greens in the center of scallops; serve hot.