Rustic Vegetable Tart
This seasonal vegetable tart is made with flaky, buttery pastry and a creamy Béchamel incorporating Plugrá® European-Style butter.
|Author: Plugrá European-Style Butter with The Food Channel|
|Prep time: 30 minutes|
|Cooking time: 30 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour|
- Thyme and Butter Roasted Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted
- 2 cups small new potatoes, 1 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cups asparagus spears, 2-inch dice
- 1 cups zucchini, 2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup red or orange bell pepper, 2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup red onion, 2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup carrots, 1-inch slice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic and pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Béchamel Cream Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon each: kosher salt, black pepper, and nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces butter, unsalted, cold, cut into half inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
Thyme Butter Roasted Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine melted Plugrá® Butter, vegetables and seasonings in a large bowl and toss to blend.
- Arrange on a baking sheet; roast uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Adjust seasoning; cool.
- Heat Plugrá Butter in a small nonstick skillet until melted; add shallots and sauté over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add flour and whisk to blend; cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Slowly add cream and whisk to blend; season with salt, black pepper and nutmeg.
- Heat over low heat until sauce has thickened. Cool.
- Combine flour and salt in food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade. Add cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly drizzle in ice water and pulse until just incorporated.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a 5-inch disk. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Roll out pastry dough on a floured work surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Combine roasted vegetables, ½ cup cream sauce (reserve remaining cream sauce for later use in another recipe) and shredded fontina cheese in a large bowl and toss until just blended; arrange in center of pastry dough, leaving a 2 to 3-inch border around outer edges of dough.
- Fold outer edges of dough over vegetables, pleating pastry dough as you fold. Combine egg yolk and cream in a small bowl and whisk to blend; brush lightly over crust.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden. Slice into wedges to serve.
View All Recipes