Roasted Strawberries with Plugra Butter Biscuits and Chantilly Cream
Roasted Strawberries with Plugra Butter Biscuits and Chantilly Cream - our own version of strawberry shortcake.
|Author: Chef Craig Deihl|
- Roasted Strawberries
- 2 pounds strawberries (about 40 strawberries)
- 1 cup honey
- 2 lemons, zested
- 4 small lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chantilly Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter Biscuits
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 6 ounces butter, unsalted, cold
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 small egg, beaten
- White sanding sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 200°F.
- Wash and cut green ends from strawberries. Place whole strawberries, cut end down, on a wire rack and roast uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Place ⅓ of the roasted strawberries in a small bowl and lightly crush with a fork. Reserve whole and crushed strawberries at room temperature.
- While strawberries are roasting; combine honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme and salt in a non-reactive sauce pan.
- Bring honey mixture to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let mixture cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until soft peaks form in the mixture.
- Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar and whisk to blend. Add Plugrá Butter; using your fingertips, a pastry cutter, or two butter knifes, cut the butter into the flour. There should be pea-sized lumps of butter scattered evenly throughout the flour.
- Combine the buttermilk and egg in a bowl and whisk to blend. Add to the flour mixture and blend just until it holds together.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently fold the dough over on itself two or three times until it becomes smooth and firm. Dust the dough lightly with flour and roll out to a thickness of 1 inch.
- Cut the biscuits using a 3-inch biscuit cutter and place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Mix the leftover dough into a ball and roll out again and cut remaining biscuits.
- Brush the tops of biscuits lightly with honey mixture (reserve remaining honey mixture for strawberries) and sprinkle lightly with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until biscuits have risen and tops are golden brown.
- Arrange crushed strawberries evenly in center of 8 dessert plates; top with bottom halves of biscuits.
- Arrange whole roasted strawberries upright on biscuits; drizzle with honey mixture.
- Top with dollops of Chantilly Cream and close with top halves of biscuits.
- Drizzle additional honey mixture on plates, if desired.