Poached Pear Galette with Blue Cheese Ice Cream
Rich, buttery galette crust surrounds merlot-infused pears and the finished dessert is paired with a tangy blue cheese ice cream.
|Author: Billy Parisi|
|Prep time: 1 hour|
|Cooking time: 45 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes|
- Poached Pears
- 1 bottle of Merlot wine
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, crushed
- 1 juice of an orange
- 1' x 4' orange zest
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, cut longways
- 6 D'Anjou pears, peeled, cut in half and cored
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 zest of 1 orange
- 8 ounces cold butter, cut into small chunks
- 8 ounces ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Ice Cream
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients except for the pears into a pot and boil together. Once boiled, turn the heat down and add the pears to the liquid.
- Place a lid on top and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pears and immediately cool in the refrigerator until cold.
- Reduce the pear poaching wine liquid until it becomes a thick syrup. Cool and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add the first five ingredients to a food processor and process for 10 seconds. l
- Sowly trickle in some ice cold water until the dough is formed and flaky.
- Place the dough on a clean surface and form a disk.
- Roll out dough, place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and then slice the chilled pears.
- Layer the pears in the center of the dough and then fold up all the sides.
- Next, mix together the egg and milk and using a pastry brush, brush the outside of the dough and then sprinkle with turbinado sugar in the raw.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Scald the cream in a large pot and pour over the blue cheese, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and whisk until combined.
- Chill the mixture completely, then pour it into ice cream maker and follow the machine instructions.
- Drizzle surface of dessert plate with merlot sauce reduction.
- Place one slice of pear galette into center of dessert plate.
- Add a scoop of blue cheese ice cream next to galette slice.