Ham and Swiss Sweet Roll Sandwiches with Pork Belly
It's a fusion of tastes and textures: crunchy pork belly, tangy, gooey swiss, rich caramelized onions atop buttery sweet rolls. Yum!
|Author: Billy Parisi|
|Prep time: 10 minutes|
|Cooking time: 20 minutes|
|Total time: 30 minutes|
- 1 pound pork belly cut into 1 ounce pieces
- 1 us liquid pint buttermilk
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon
- 1 pound thinly sliced ham
- 16 pieces of thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 thinly sliced sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- Orange jam or marmalade
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Sweet Rolls http://plugra.com/recipe/sweet-rolls
- Place the cut pork belly in a bag along with the buttermilk and marinate over night. In the morning, strain the buttermilk from the bagand toss in the cornmeal. Combine to coat the pork belly pieces.
- Next, place the ¼ cup of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat and fry the cornmeal-crusted pork belly until golden brown and cooked (about 4 to 5 minutes on each side).
- In a separate large sauté pan on high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, caramelize the onions. Once brown deglaze with balsamic vinegar.
- To Plate: Place 1 slice of ham, 1 piece of cornmeal-crusted, cooked porkbelly, 1 slice of Swiss cheese, a small amount of caramelized balsamic onions and orange jam on a sweet roll.
NotesFor sweet roll recipe, click here:
View All Recipes