Gooey Butter Bars
Ooey, gooey and delicious.
|Author: The Seaside Baker|
|Prep time: 20 minutes|
|Cooking time: 40 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour|
- Bottom Layer
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Top Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
For the bottom layer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl sift together flour, corn starch, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a hand beater or an electric mixer, mix together melted butter and sugar.
- Add egg and milk. Mix to combine.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture until fully combined.
- Line a 9X13 inch pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Beat together cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and melted butter.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat on medium low until combined.
- Evenly spread mixture onto bottom layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Cake will still be slightly soft in the center.
- Cool for 30 minutes before cutting. Serve with fresh berries and sifted powdered sugar, if desired.