Dark Chocolate Caramel Corn
What could be better than homemade hot-from-the-oven caramel corn? Chocolate covered caramel corn! This delicious recipe includes all the steps to make both variations.
|Author: The Food Channel|
|Prep time: 30 minutes|
|Cooking time: 1 hour|
|Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes|
- 16 cups popcorn, popped (fresh popped popcorn works best)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate baking chips
To prepare caramel corn
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Combine corn syrup, butter and brown sugar in saucepan; simmer over medium low heat to syrup consistency.
- Bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- Pour over popcorn and toss to evenly coat.
- Transfer to greased cookie sheets and bake uncovered for 1 hour; stirring several times during baking.
- Transfer caramel corn to large bowl and cool; breaking up clumps.
- Reserve 8 cups caramel corn (1/2 batch).
- Working in small batches, portion 1 cup chocolate chips into microwaveable measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds, stir, microwave an additional 20 seconds and stir until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Combine melted chocolate with 2 cups caramel corn and stir to evenly coat; using tongs or fork, transfer chocolate covered popcorn pieces to cookie sheet lined with wax paper and cool.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with remaining chocolate chips and caramel popcorn.
- Cool until chocolate has hardened.
- Transfer to serving bowls or decorative containers.