Cranberry Mousse Cake with White Chocolate Frosting
Beautiful and decadent, this cake will satisfy anyone's taste buds.
|Author: The Seaside Baker|
|Prep time: 40 minutes|
|Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes|
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup pulverized freeze dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks of softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- Cranberry Mousse
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup melted white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 3500 F.
- Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature. In a separate bowl, combine flour, pulverized, dried cranberries, salt, baking powder and soda; Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend butter, sugar and vanilla at medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Reduce speed to low and add a cup of flour followed by 1/3 of the buttermilk. Repeat this 3 times until you have incorporated all the flour and buttermilk.
- Separate batter into 3 bowls, equally. Add red food coloring into 1st bowl and mix (may take a few drops depending on what brand you use).
- Repeat with blue food coloring in 2nd bowl. Leave batter in 3rd bowl as is.
- Grease three 6 inch pans and pour one bowl of batter into each pan, so each pan has a different color batter inside. Or, use two 8 inch pans and gently combine batters in a swirl or marble cake pattern in each pan. Do not over-mix or batter combination will turn purple.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan and allow to completely cool on a cooling rack.
- In a saucepan, combine 1 bag of fresh, rinsed cranberries.
- Add sugar and orange juice.
- Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Once berries have started to pop, pour the mixture into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour back into the pan and add 1 1/2 tsp of gelatin.
- Cook on medium low heat until the mixture coats the back of the spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool until room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, refrigerate the finished cranberry sauce for 1 hour.
- Beat whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in orange zest and cranberry sauce.
- Beat butter, melted white chocolate and vanilla extract for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, salt and milk or cream.
- Beat with whisk attachment for 3 minutes on high.
- Assemble cake by adding a thick layer of cranberry mousse in between each cake layer.
- Refrigerate assembled cake for 1 hour before frosting.
- Frost cooled cake and decorate.