Cornbread Ice Cream and Struesel
Try serving Cornbread Ice Cream and Struesel as a side to a spicy bowl of chili. It's a twist on a traditional pairing that will surprise and delight.
|Author: Chef Nicole Kaplan|
|Prep time: 45 minutes|
|Total time: 45 minutes|
- Cornbread Ice Cream
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- Cornbread Streusel
- 1/2 cup freeze dried corn
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cake flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted
Cornbread Ice Cream
- Place the corn in a saucepan and heat to remove any water from the freezer. Pour off any excess water.
- Add the milk, cream and ½ cup sugar and bring to a boil.
- Place the remaining sugar, egg yolks and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and gently fold in the egg yolk mixture. Mix all ingredients together with an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender you can mix together with a whisk.
- Strain this mixture and let it cool.
- Process in an ice cream machine.
- Preheat a conventional oven to 200°F.
- Place the freeze dried corn, almond flour, cake flour and salt in a food processor and mix together until all ingredients are combined well.
- Drizzle in the melted butter and mix until you have a dry, crumbly mixture.
- Spread the cornbread streusel over a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes. Streusel should be toasty without taking on any color.