Classic Bread Stuffing
This bread stuffing is classically delicious, made with fresh bread, onions, celery, creamy Plugrá butter, and a unique blend of seasonings.
|Prep time: 45 minutes|
|Cooking time: 1 hour|
|Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes|
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups chopped celery, including leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1-1/2 t dried
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1-1/2 t dried
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- pinch grated nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound pound loaf good-quality white bread, cut into 1/2" cubes (10-12 C) stale or lightly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup stock, milk or white wine
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt half the butter. Add the next 9 ingredients. Cook, covered, until the onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the sauteed vegetables with the bread cubes. Season with pepper.
- Melt the remaining butter. Pour over the stuffing, along with the stock and toss to coat. The stuffing should just hold together when mounded on a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stuff the bird, or if baking some or all of the stuffing in a casserole, pour a cup or two of stock, milk or white wine over the stuffing to replace the juices the stuffing would have absorbed from the bird.
- Bake it covered until heated through, 45 minutes to 1 hour. For a crunchy top, uncover it for the last 15 minutes of baking.