Fun fact: Chicken Kiev was not created in Kiev, the capital of the Ukraine, but was named when it was introduced in Russian restaurants in the U.S.
|Author: 2nd Annual Plugra Magnifique Recipe Contest|
|Prep time: 45 minutes|
|Total time: 45 minutes|
- 8 5-ounce chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, halved
- 8 ounces prepared Pesto Butter (see linked recipe)
- 1 egg, as needed
- 2 tablespoon pistachio, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- All purpose flour, as needed
- Bread crumbs, dry, as needed
- Salt to taste
- Place the chicken breasts on a film-covered cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. With a meat mallet, gently pound the breast to an even thickness, approximately 1/3 inch.
- Remove plastic wrap from breasts and season with salt and pepper. Cut the Pesto Butter into 8 1-ounce long pieces. Place one piece of butter on each breast. Beginning with the edge closest to you, roll each breast until butter is covered. Fold the side ends of the breast toward the center and continue rolling. Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes or overnight if preparing ahead.
- Bread the stuffed breasts using the standard breading procedure with the flour, egg and bread crumbs in that order. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Fry the breaded breasts in a deep-fryer at 325°F until golden brown and fully cooked, approximately 10 minutes.
- Gently remove breasts from fryer and serve immediately.
- Garnish with pistachios, garlic and Parmesan cheese.
NotesRefrigerating the rolled chicken breasts allows them to stay firm in their rolled shape while deep frying.
View All Recipes