Chef Barshak's Famous Mashed Potatoes
|Author: Alison Barshak, owner/chef of Alison at Blue Bell|
|Prep time: 15 minutes|
|Cooking time: 15 minutes|
|Total time: 30 minutes|
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- cold water, as needed, to cover potatoes in pan
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoon Butter, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put potatoes in a pot of salted water. Cook until soft but not falling apart.
- Drain potatoes and return them to pot.
- Heat on low flame/low heat to evaporate moisture but not enough to brown.
- Using a ricer, rice the potatoes into a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat milk. Pour into bowl with riced potatoes. Add butter. Mix with a spoon or spatula--not a whisk. Add salt and pepper.
- To keep warm, place potatoes in double boiler over warm water and cover with a piece of buttered wax paper, parchment paper or the wrapper from the butter.
NotesChef's Note: Using the ricer on the potatoes makes them lighter and fluffier than mashing them with a masher. Potatoes also can be reheated in the microwave or oven.
View All Recipes