Blueberry-Almond Baklava with Orange Blossom Honey
This traditional favorite gets a sweet, colorful infusion of blueberries for summer when the berries are at peak season.
|Author: 1st Annual Plugrá Magnifique Recipe Contest|
|Prep time: 30 minutes|
|Cooking time: 45 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes|
- Orange Blossom Honey Syrup
- 1/4 cup orange blossom honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 whole vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Blueberry-Almond Baklava
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, softened, plus extra for coating pan
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 cups dried blueberries
- 2 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 16 ounces phyllo dough, thawed
Orange Blossom Honey Syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine honey, water, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla bean over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let cool uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9" baking pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine warm water, almond extract, lemon zest, and dried blueberries.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds 3-4 times until coarsely ground.
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, almonds, sugar, and spices. Set aside.
- Unroll the phyllo dough and cover with a damp kitchen towel to keep the dough soft and pliable.
- Place one sheet of dough in bottom of a baking pan. Lightly brush with softened butter.
- Continue to layer and brush the dough, repeating 8 times. Sprinkle half of the fruit-nut mixture over dough evenly.
- Repeat 8 sheet processes again and top with remaining fruit-nut mixture.
- Top with remaining 8 sheets of dough and brush with softened butter.
- With a very sharp knife, cut only halfway through the pastry in 4 equal sections, turn the pan and cut 4 more equal sections in the opposite direction making 16 squares. Cut an X in each square.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Remove vanilla bean from syrup and drizzle over warm pastry.