|Author: Chef Dewey LoSasso, North One 10|
|Prep time: 15 minutes|
|Cooking time: 45 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour|
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-serving grits, not instant
- 1/2 cup Butter unsalted
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- In a small pot, bring water, milk, and salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture.
- Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed.
- Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they have the consistency of stiff cream of wheat.
- Stir in butter and basil; adjust seasoning as needed. Serve with additional butter on top of each portion.
- Serve with steak, fish, or poultry. Roasted garlic or truffle oil may also be added.