Because the right Apple Strudel depends on the right butter.
|Author: 3rd Annual Plugrá Magnifique Recipe Contest|
|Prep time: 15 minutes|
|Cooking time: 45 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour|
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoon Calvados, warmed
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely minced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 12 phyllo sheets, thawed
- 1 cup Plugrá® European-Style Butter, unsalted, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted, finely chopped
- 2 pints premium pralines and cream ice cream
- 1/3 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cranberries in a small shallow bowl. Pour warm Calvados over the berries and set aside.
- Place apple slices in a large bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over apples and toss.
- Sprinkle apples with ginger, sugar and cinnamon. Toss to blend.
- On a work surface lined with a large damp towel, lay out one phyllo sheet; brush lightly with melted Butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Top with another sheet of phyllo dough; brush with butter and sprinkle with pecans.
- Repeat layering with remaining phyllo.
- Arrange apple slices over the bottom one third of the phyllo and to within 2 inches of the edge. Sprinkle the apple slices with the plumped cranberries.
- Tuck sides of the strudel in. From the filled bottom edge, roll phyllo jellyroll style.
- Place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Cut 3 diagonal slits on the top of the strudel and brush top with remaining butter.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve on dessert plates with a scoop of ice cream and topped with Creamy Calvados Butter Sauce. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.