Apple Pie with Walnut Crumb Topping
This mouthwatering pie will delight your family with every bite.
|Author: What's Cookin, Chicago?|
|Prep time: 20 minutes|
|Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes|
|Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes|
- Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Butter, unsalted, chilled, diced cut pieces when butter is at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (about 1 bunch) Italian parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- Topping Ingredients
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- Filling Ingredients
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly greated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 pounds large apples peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pie Crust Instructions
- Prepare the pie crust. Place flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Or, whisk together in a medium bowl.
- Add butter and shortening and pulse in the food processor or cut in using a pastry blender just until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough just comes together.
- Gather up dough, pat into a disc, cover and chill at least 30 minutes
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt.
- Mix in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt until combined.
- Add apple slices and lemon juice and toss until evenly coated.
- Spoon apple filling into pie shell and sprinkle evenly with crumb topping.
- When ready to bake pie, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll pie crust dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle.
- Place dough in 9 1/2-inch pie plate and press into place.
- Trim and fold under the edges and crimp for a decorative crust. If making ahead, chill in refrigerator while making the filling.
- Bake pie on lower rack of oven 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake 45 to 50 minutes longer or until apples are tender and topping is golden and crisp. Cool on a wire rack.